[Samba] nameservers, all DCS??

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri May 25 10:20:40 UTC 2018

I dont understand whats the question here.

But what i can say about the resolv.conf settings if you have multiple dc's.

You have to think in 2 DNS resolving settings.

1) on the server as client resolving ( resolv.conf )
2) clients resolving ( DNS Services )

The difference explained.
If i do : ping hostname   this is a server which is doing a client dns request through resolve.conf
If i do : dig A hostname @DNSSERVER  this is a server which is doing a client resolving request through dns services. ( port 53 )

In case of 2 DCs.
Before the join of second DC, point the resolv.conf to DC1.
After the join of the second DC, and after the reboot of the server, this changes a bit.
Change resolve.conf to
Nameserver IP_OF_DC2   ( NOT LOCALHOST ) !
Nameserver IP_OF_DC1
(optional add a internet DNS server, if both DC's fail you server can still use the internet )

DC1 should now  have
Nameserver IP_OF_DC1   ( NOT LOCALHOST ) !
Nameserver IP_OF_DC2
(optional add a internet DNS server, if both DC's fail you server can still use the internet )

A 3 DC setup.
Same as the 2 DC setup, but add the third to it.

A 4+ DC setup.
Here i preffer the following, the DC with FSMO roles in this example is DC1.
DC1 resolv.conf DC1 first, then what you want.
DC2 resolv.conf
	DC2
	DC3
	DC4

DC3	resolv.conf
	DC3
	DC4
	DC2

DC4	resolv.conf
	DC4
	DC2
	DC3

Etc etc

And i advice this also in resolv.conf if you run multiple dc.s
# resolv.conf its timeout is 5 sec by default, to long imo.
options timeout:2
# round-robin selection of name servers from among those listed
rotate

Why no localhost in the resolv.conf, that can give problem with kerberos things.
Localhost =! Hostname

Greetz,

Louis