[Samba] Windows 10 Client - Samba 3 Server - NT4 Style PDC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu May 24 18:30:38 UTC 2018

On Thu, 24 May 2018 13:09:22 -0400
Marco Shmerykowsky PE via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> FWIW; I connected to the domain on the rolled back 1703 machine.
> It wasn't connecting due to spelling errors on my end when setting
> the various keys (Damn those post 40 eye/vision things - don't
> get older kiddies).

Can I suggest you do two things, stop driving immediately and get your
eyesight tested ;-)

Post 40 is nothing, you are still a youngster.

> Base on my experiences then, if you're connected to the NT4
> style domain prior to the 1803 update, then you'll stay
> connected.  On all my 1803 machines, the domain connection
> was established prior to the update.  Everything still works.
>
> So... the 1803 update is the culprit & a warning sign to
> prepare an update to the samba server before MS does something
> else.

I have been saying this for the last two years, Microsoft is making it
harder and harder to use Windows with an NT4-style domain, you have
been warned.

If you haven't started to look into upgrading your old style domain to
an AD domain yet, you should start now, before it is too late.

Andrew, do you think it time to start prying NT4-style domain code out
of your hand yet ??

Rowland