[Samba] Windows 10 Client - Samba 3 Server - NT4 Style PDC

Marco Shmerykowsky PE marco at sce-engineers.com
Thu May 24 13:45:50 UTC 2018

Interesting.

All my windows 10 machines are version 1803.  However, the ones
that are connect properly joined the domain prior to the 1803
update.

I've rolled back one machine to 1703 and now I at least get a
prompt for username & password.  It still doesn't connect to
the domain, but it is different behavior.

--

Marco J. Shmerykowsky, PE, F.ASCE
marco at sce-engineers.com

    Shmerykowsky Consulting Engineers
      Structural Analysis & Design
     102 West 38th Street, 2nd Floor
         New York, New York 10018
Tel. (212) 719-9700 Fax. (212) 719-4822
       http://www.sce-engineers.com

On 5/24/2018 2:06 AM, Henry Jensen via samba wrote:

> Am 24. Mai 2018 05:44:04 MESZ schrieb Marco Shmerykowsky via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>:
>
>> I have an old setup that serves my purposes, but which I'll move over
>> to a more modern Samba4 setup at some point.  I know it's old,
>> deprecated etc.
>>
>> In any case, at the moment I'm having a problem with two Windows 10
>> machines connecting to the domain I set up.
>

> Which version of Windows 10? I also have problems joining a Windows 10 1803 machine to a NT style domain. W10 1709 machines can join, with 1803 it seems Windows explicitly looks for an AD DC.
>
> Additionally I have enabled SMBv1 (which isn't enabled by default since 1709) but to no avail.
>
> It seems, with 1803 Microsoft closed that door for good.
>
> Since I am using OpenLDAP as backend I ended up using pGina[0] to allow domain users to log on onto that machine at least, which works, but you lose all Windows domain specific features like roaming profiles, logon scripts, etc.
>
> I am in the process of migrating to Samba AD and I think many more people are - the time for NT style domains is up.
>
> Regards,
>
> Henry
>
> [0] https://mutonufoai.github.io/pgina/

---