[Samba] run script on domain join

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed May 23 09:57:06 UTC 2018

On Wed, 23 May 2018 10:43:59 +0200
Arnaud FLORENT via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Le 23/05/2018 à 10:32, Rowland Penny via samba a écrit :
> > On Wed, 23 May 2018 10:09:42 +0200
> > Arnaud FLORENT via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> >> hi Roland
> >>

> >> thanks for your help
> >>
> >> it is easier to identify hosts with fixed adresses (ie allow/deny
> >> access by ip in firewall for example)
> > It might be easier to reap the DHCP issued IPs and feed these to the
> > firewall.
> surely but i never succeeded to ensure 100% ip is released.
>
> it is realy easier for me to work with static leases for my hosts

Yes, it probably would be ;-)

> >> but it seems i can not restart dhcpd from itself to reload new
> >> record
> > This was one of the problems I thought of, the client would have to
> > issue a new DHCP request or reboot.
> when joining a domain,  windows renew the lease AND ask user to reboot

Are we talking Unix clients here and if so what OS ?

The main problem that I see is that, whilst you can (probably) easily
get the dhcp server to issue a dynamic ip then use 'on commit' to run
a script to change this to the next available fixed IP, you would
have to issue a release then ask for a new IP (which should get you
the fixed IP) or reboot.

You could probably wrap the 'net ads join' in a script to do this,
but, again, I have never tried this.

Rowland