[Samba] Samba 4.8.2

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Tue May 22 12:22:52 UTC 2018

Am 2018-05-21 um 09:31 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
> On Mon, 21 May 2018 09:21:42 +1200
> Andrew Bartlett via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2018-05-18 at 14:44 +0200, Micha Ballmann via samba wrote:
>>> Is it possible to Mix Samba 4.8.2 with Samba 4.7.7?
>>>
>>> I have three domain controller (up to 10000 users) running on Samba
>>> 4.7.7.
>>>
>>> I want to kill all samba processes of Dc1 and do all necessary
>>> steps for an upgrade to version 4.8.2. Dc2 and Dc2 still running
>>> and providing.
>>>
>>> After a reboot of the upgraded server, (Dc1) is the replication
>>> still working? Gpos are working?
>>>
>>> I cant shutdown all domain controller for the same time, and
>>> upgrade them "offline" step by step!
>>
>> If possible, do the upgrade by joining each DC to the domain, rather
>> than upgrading them offline.  If you keep upgrading in-place you miss
>> out on some features we only enable on fresh databases, like encrypted
>> secrets (4.8) and sorted links (4.7).
>
> Well you learn something new everyday ;-)
> Is this documented anywhere ?
> I also think this is a bad idea, anything new should just work without
> having to go through the 'demote' and 'join' loop, as this appears to
> have its own problems.
>

>> As has become amply clear of late, in-place upgrades, while tested as
>> part of our 'make test' are clearly are not as tested as they should
>> be.
>
> That could be an understatement ;-)
>

>> In any case, replication between 4.7 and 4.8 shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Unfortunately it seems it is.

I am uncertain now again ;-)  keep 4.7.7 or not for now?
Prepped DC1 by doing backups and db-check, but I am not sure

* if to keep DC2 on 4.7.7 for a day then
* if to demote/rejoin DC2 before or after 4.8 upgrade

etc

My setup is smaller than the mentioned >10000 users, but shouldn't break
either ;-)

Stefan