[Samba] named will not start after upgrade of CentOS

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu May 17 16:39:25 UTC 2018

On Thu, 17 May 2018 12:27:20 -0400 (EDT)
me at tdiehl.org wrote:

> On Thu, 17 May 2018, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 17 May 2018 15:06:35 +0200
> > Marco Coli via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >

> >> I did find the problem is originating with kerberos upgrade. If I
> >> upgrade everything except kerberos rpm to 7.5, dns has no problem.
> >
> > What kerberos rpm ?
> > If it is for the server it shouldn't be installed anyway, Samba uses
> > its own KDC.
>
> On Centos 7.5 I suspect he is talking about
> krb5-libs-1.15.1-19.el7.x86_64
>
> Unfortunately on a Centos 7 machine it gets installed with at system
> creation time and cannot be removed without breaking the system.
>
> FWIW,
> (vdc2 pts2) # rpm -qf /etc/krb5.conf
> krb5-libs-1.15.1-19.el7.x86_64
> (vdc2 pts2) #
>
> For giggles I tried to rm it and I get an error when yum tries to rm
> the dependencies.
>
> As to the actual problem, my fully updated Centos-7.5 systems are
> functioning normally after removing the stupid include line
> from /etc/krb5.conf.
>
> All of this brings up a different question, Since I use self compiled
> Samba DCs my machines have 2 krb5.conf files. One is obviously
> in /etc/ but the other is in /usr/local/samba/private/. I know the
> Wiki says to copy the one in /usr/local/samba/private/ to /etc/ but
> does Samba use the one in /usr/local/samba/private/ for anything else
> other than to seed the one in /etc?

No, it is just the 'template' (for want of a better word)
for /etc/krb5.conf. It used to be possible to symlink that file
to /etc/krb5.conf, but this is no longer possible and must be copied
instead.

> Could /usr/local/samba/private/krb5.conf be removed and still have
> samba function properly. I do not want to actually rm it I am just
> trying to understand how things work.

I suppose you could remove it once you have copied it, but it is that
small, I don't see the point.

Rowland