[Samba] move from netatalk to samba + vfsfruit

Ralph Böhme slow at samba.org
Thu May 17 14:17:57 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 03:44:12PM +0200, Reindl Harald via samba wrote:
> Am 17.05.2018 um 14:22 schrieb Ralph Böhme:
> > iirc the only thing that is currently not working is cross-protocol xattrs for
> > xattrs created via Netatalk without ea=samba. I have a WIP patch for Samba here
> > [1], but that would require a *lot* more thinking, hacking and testing.
> >
> > -slow
> >
> > [1] https://git.samba.org/?p=slow/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=4f6a557b0ad13adfb50fa67af2217a674fd1159f
>
> that's the problem - a majority of files are older than "ea=samba" was
> available and now there is a mix

sure, that's exactly the problem that the above hack is trying to solve.

> wouldn't it be better suited in "/usr/bin/dbd /share" when "ea=samba" is
> enabled to read and rewrite old xattr values so that they reflect the
> current config?

That would be possible. The only problem with this would be that dbd can't
detect had been run before to fix this, so every time you run it, you would
extend the xattrs by one byte. :) dbd could add a marker to every file, but I'm
not sure how clever a idea that is.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team       https://samba.org/