[Samba] Samba - slow performance

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 15 07:21:20 UTC 2018

On Mon, 14 May 2018 17:20:57 -0700
Jagga Soorma via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have a small setup where we write files on a Windows system to a
> samba mounted location coming from a linux system.  This linux system
> has NVME disks and 10gige connections.  We are getting slow write
> performance and our setup should be able to get better write speeds.
> I am attaching our config files and hoping someone can assist with
> tuning our smb.conf for getting better performance:
>
> --
> # cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
> [global]
> workgroup = XXX
> server string = Samba Server %V
> security = ADS
> realm = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

It might help if you set up smb.conf correctly or are you using sssd ?

> # cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 6.9 (Final)
>
> # rpm -qa | grep -i samba | sort
> samba-3.6.23-45.el6_9.x86_64

Samba 3.6.x died quite sometime ago, it had a quite funeral, no flowers
by request ;-)

If you need help with your zombie, I suggest you ask Centos, or upgrade
your distro.

Or to put it another way, if there is something wrong with your version
of Samba (and I am not saying there is), the chances of getting it
fixed is nil.

Rowland