[Samba] multiple domain served by Samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon May 14 09:20:32 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-05-14 at 10:20 +0200, Németh Ákos Ferenc via samba wrote:
> Dear All,
>

> I have a working Samba AD for my company (company.intranet) under
> Debian/GNU. Now I'm requested to create a domain for another company.
> Can I use the same server with the same Samba for multiple domain? Can
> same samba serve parallel the company.intranet (with company\user) and
> the othercompany.intranet (othercompany\user) domains? May I just run
> the samba-tool provision to create the second domain?
>

> What is the best practice to separate the users of different companies
> and manage all of them under the same server?

Multiple VMs is the best bet.  While it is attractive to try and bind
multiple Samba installs to different IPs, Samba is easiest to
administer with nss_winbind operating and that means one winbindd and
that means one domain per 'server'.

Containers, provided they support xattrs, may also be an option.

Finally, I'm glad Samba is going so well that you want to start another
domain.  Congrats!

Andrew Bartlett