[Samba] Reverse DNS in Samba AD

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 14:53:03 UTC 2018

Hi,

I may well be missing something obvious, or quite possibly I am wrongly
thinking that things should work in a certain way - so I thought I would
ask here first :)

I am running a Samba 4.7.7 AD domain consisting of 4 DCs using Samba's
internal DNS, and I am using Windows' 'DNS Manager' MMC tool as admin.

Under "Forward Lookup Zones" I have "mydomain.org", and under "Reverse
Lookup Zones" I have a number of entries of the form
"1.168.192.in-addr.arpa", "1.1.10.in-addr.arpa", etc.

I add a new host to the forward lookup zone as follows:
Name: test1
[ FQDN: test1.mydomain.org. ] - this is auto-populated and greyed out
IP address: 192.168.1.123
[X] Create associated pointer (PTR) record
[ ] Allow any authenticated user to update DNS records with the same owner
name

The forward record gets created just fine, as expected - but I would have
thought that a PTR record should also be created under
1.168.192.in-addr.arpa - this doesn't happen.

Should this work?

Jonathan

--
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it?"