[Samba] Samba4 on Ubuntu 18.04

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 8 14:44:07 UTC 2018

On Tue, 8 May 2018 06:52:56 -0700
Gregory Sloop via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> A sort of digest reply...

See inline comments:

> RPvs> Not sure, what is a samba4/adc ???
> RPvs> Or do you mean a 'Has anybody joined a Samba DC on Ubuntu
> RPvs> 18.04' ?
> Yes, doing an active directory controller [ADC] not just a
> workgroup-share. [Though, not "joining" a DC already in existance,
> but creating a new AD setup.]

We just call them a DC

> RPvs> If so, then yes and it was hell
> What exactly was hellish about it?
> Is it your opinion I should use something else, compile from source,
> or what? Did you get it to work satisfactorily eventually?

I had to fight with the OS and yes, I did get it to work.

> On that note, I'm not totally wed to Ubuntu/Debian. Is there some LTS
> [long-term-support] distro that's dramatically better?

The problem with LTS distros is just that, they have long term support
for the packages they originally come with, in this instance, Samba
4.7.6 . By the time 18.04 goes EOL, Samba could be near version 6.

I normally use Devuan and you can use Louis's packages with this (or
Debian, if you can put up with systemd) ;-)

Rowland