[Samba] Change of behavior samba 3.6 and 4.5

john doe johndoe65534 at mail.com
Mon May 7 14:22:33 UTC 2018

> On Sun, 6 May 2018 19:40:01 +0200
> john doe via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> On 5/6/2018 1:23 PM, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

>>> You don't, or at least, it works for me.
>>>

>> Thanks Rowland, for confirming that for you 'net view
>> \\<SAMBA-4-SERVER>' works without having to first enter credentials.
>>
>>> Might help if you posted the smb.conf from 'SAMBA-4-SERVER' (and
>>> 'SAMBA-3-SERVER, if it is different)
>>>

>> For testing purposes I used the smb.conf from the working samba 3.X
>> server and still getting the same error.
>> Any other ideas?
>>

> Yes, post the smb.conf, I (and anybody else) will not have a clue how
> you are running Samba unless you do. Just because it worked with 3.6.x
> doesn't mean it will work with 4.5.x

Here's my smb.conf (lines starting with '#',';', and blank lines are
removed):

With the exception of the 'log file' option it's the smb.conf find in
/usr/share/doc/samba-common/examples/smb.conf.default.gz on Debian 9.

[global]
    workgroup = MYGROUP
    server string = Samba Server
    server role = standalone server
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.m
    max log size = 50
    dns proxy = no
[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes
[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /usr/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    printable = yes

Prior to enter credentials if I do 'net use ...' I get the following:

PS> net use \\<SAMBA-SERVER>
The password or user name is invalid for \\<SAMBA-SERVER>.

Enter the user name for '<SAMBA-SERVER>': john
Enter the password for <SAMBA-SERVER>:
The command completed successfully.

Thanks Rowland or to anyone else that is able to help me.

Any help is much appriciated! :)

--
John Doe