[Samba] Samba Audit Logs

Robin G robinghere3 at gmail.com
Sun May 6 14:29:10 UTC 2018

Hi Rowland,

Thank you.

I tried both options. The following is using option 2
[global]
        vfs objects = full_audit
[homes]
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = No
        read only = No
        path = %H
        full_audit:prefix = %u|%I|%S
        full_audit:failure = none
        full_audit:success = mkdir rmdir read pread write pwrite rename
unlink
        full_audit:facility = local5
        full_audit:priority = notice

and then did the tail -f audit.log , after restarting the smbd , nmbd and
rsyslog (which generated the audit.log file), nothing is being recorded. I
see some stuff in the log.machinename like

[2018/05/02 20:43:50.191504,  2] smbd/dosmode.c:114(unix_mode)
  unix_mode(New folder (2)) inherit mode 40777

but not the audit.log

Just confirming, the /etc/rsyslog.d/00-samba-audit.conf
local5.notice /var/log/samba/audit.log
&~

cat /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf
*.*;local5,auth,authpriv.none -/var/log/syslog
local5.notice /var/log/samba/audit.log
#cron.*                         /var/log/cron.log
#daemon.*                       -/var/log/daemon.log
kern.*                          -/var/log/kern.log
#lpr.*                          -/var/log/lpr.log
mail.*                          -/var/log/mail.log
#user.*                         -/var/log/user.log
news.crit                       /var/log/news/news.crit
news.err                        /var/log/news/news.err
news.notice                     -/var/log/news/news.notice

The /etc/rsyslog.conf has the following
#
# Include all config files in /etc/rsyslog.d/
#
$IncludeConfig /etc/rsyslog.d/*.conf

Am I missing something. The samba box in question is 4.3.x but I have also
tried this in an old Samba box (3.6.x)