[Samba] Is a password required for the Linux account?

Gilles codecomplete at free.fr
Fri May 4 13:51:51 UTC 2018

Rowland Penny > Wouldn't you be better off using a SSH login ? What you
are proposing doesn't sound very secure to me.

Sorry, I haven't made myself understood.

I simply want to use Samba in the standard way, through the "valid
users" option, which requires creating a Unix account, a Samba account,
and password for both, ideally in sync.

This is partially explained on the wiki, although it missed the most
important "valid users" option:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server

I was just wondering if a Unix password is actually required.

I assume the answer is yes, or I guess Samba will get an error when
trying to access the underlying filesystem if the matching Unix account
has no password.

Thank you.

PS: Sorry for the break in the thread: I only realized after posting
that the archives at Nabble are inactive
http://samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/Samba-General-f2403709.html . Is
there no web-based alternative to the Samba General mailing list?