[Samba] Is a password required for the Linux account?

Gilles codecomplete at free.fr
Fri May 4 13:55:58 UTC 2018

On 04/05/2018 15:46, Chris Weiss wrote:
> technically it does not need a passwd, and you don't need to do
> password sync.  i should work just fine.
Thanks.

If the matching Unix account has no password, how come it doesn't
trigger an error when Samba accesses the underlying Unix filesystem?
Doesn't Linux prompt Samba for a uid + password?

> it would be better to use group permission on the files and use your
> normal user to edit.  www-data should only have write permissions to
> your logging and upload areas anyway. the web server should never be
> able to overwrite your site code.  it would be even better to use SSH,
> still with group permissions and your normal user.  most editors can
> edit over ssh "live" these days, with the right plugin.

Thanks, but I prefer to use Samba and a word process to edit files from
Windows. It's more user-friendly than an SSH terminal window.