[Samba] Is a password required for the Linux account?

Winfried codecomplete at free.fr
Fri May 4 13:20:26 UTC 2018

Hello,

I'm using Samba 4.5.12 on Debian 9.4, and would like to learn how to use the
"valid users" option to limit read-write access to authorized users, which
seems to require…
1. creating a Linux account in /etc/passwd,
2. creating a matching Samba account,
3. syncing both passwords using smbpasswd, where Samba sets its password,
and then calls the Linux passwd utility to set the same password in
/etc/shadow

By default, Nginx creates a www-data user, which I'd like to use so I can
edit its htdocs files directly from a Windows host:
[code]
# cat /etc/passwd
…
www-data:x:33:33:www-data:/var/www:/usr/sbin/nologin
[/code]

Am I correct in understanding that a password is _required_ for the Unix
account, because when trying to access a Samba share from Windows, it goes
like this : Windows → Samba → Unix, where Samba will pass on the username +
password to Linux when accessing the filesystem?

Thank you.

--
Sent from: http://samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/Samba-General-f2403709.html