[Samba] 4.2.14 (or newer) support "Windows for Workgroups 3.1a"?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 1 17:33:23 UTC 2018

On Tue, 1 May 2018 11:02:39 +0200
Andrea Baldoni via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 07:57:32PM +0100, Rowland Penny via samba
> wrote:
>
> Hello Rowland.
>
> > I understand about CNC, nobody thinks about the builtin PC going
> > obsolete before the machine wears out, so you end up a machine that
> > is virtually obsolete.
>
> Exactly.
>
> > If it does, then creating a VM to run a Unix domain member in,
> > would be a good idea.
>
> I will do it, security is never enough, however I would like to
> understand better if concerns are on

The problem is that WfW was never designed to talk to a domain,
remember it was released before 1995 and back then security wasn't
Microsoft's main concern (if they thought about it at all).

Whatever you do, you will have to create users on all the machines that
will be in the CNC machines loop.

I take it that CNC files are created on the domain computers and you
are looking for a solution for how to get them to the actual CNC
machine.

The best and safest option I can think of, would be to create a small
workgroup containing your CNC machines and a standalone Samba server.
Create the AD users that you want to connect to the standalone server,
on the standalone server (I take you only want a few)

See this for more info:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server

You should then be able to browse to the shares on the standalone
server (or map drives to the shares)

Rowland