[Samba] High CPU usage by rpc_server

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 29 00:40:54 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-03-29 at 01:18 +0200, Karan Blas via samba wrote:
> We have two Samba AD-DC.
>
> One is version 4.5.12 (debian) and 4.5.11 (ubuntu). On both, the rpc_server is using one core to the max 99-100% all the time.
>
> I see the PID by samba-tool processes and I see something like
>
> dnsupdate              19526
> cldap_server           19520
> rpc_server             19515
> rpc_server             19515
> rpc_server             19515
> rpc_server             19515
> rpc_server             19515
> nbt_server             19517
> winbind_server         19528
> kdc_server             19521
> notify-daemon          19531
> ldap_server            19519
> kccsrv                 19525
> samba                      0
> dreplsrv               19522
> dnssrv                 19527
>

> The situation is same even at night with low load and if I shutdown
> one of them there is also no much difference. However if I copy the
> server in isolated environment it is silent ..1-5% CPU. We have
> around 1000 users. Can it be from the clients? At night there are
> less then 5 connections to the Samba:
>
> netstat -tunepv | grep samba | wc -l

You need to upgrade to Samba 4.7, we have fixed this issue since Samba
4.5.  It is likely the getncchanges going over the large database
locking each record during the un-indexed search, plus the fact that we
got some up-to-dateness filtering of links wrong (fixed in 4.6).

I realise this doesn't gel with your comment that shutting the DC down
doesn't help, but it could still be processing an old request.

Samba 4.5 is out of support, so please upgrade anyway :-)

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett