[Samba] Windows Roaming Profile - Logout Time

Waishon waishon009 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 16:09:55 UTC 2018

Hey there,

I'm having a strange bug with Samba and Windows 10 1709 when I use roaming profiles. I've set the GPO that the copyed local account will be deleten when the user logsout.

When a user logs in and immediately logs out again, the logout takes minutes before I see the login screen again. I'm using a SSD.

I've done some further investigation using the process monitor and inotifywatch to see where the problem is. When I click on logout Windows copy's all files instantaneously to the samba profile share. Inotifywatch doesn't show anything after the succesful copy.

The process monitor shows that the SearchIndexer.exe is working during the logout and is delaying it. I think the SearchIndexer is running because the GPO deletes the user directory on each logout, so Windows will reindex the "new" profile.

Now I wonder if there's anybody who has the same problem with the logout or is able to test it in their environment? I don't know if it's a problem with Samba or also with Windows Server, because I don't have one, so I can't test it or even a client problem in Windows 10?

In my opinion it's a bug in Windows 10. Or does anybody has more information about it?
Or is this a "feature" of Windows? :)

Thanks in advance
Soeren