[Samba] ODP: Re: freeradius + NTLM + samba AD 4.5.x

Kacper Wirski kacper.wirski at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 09:08:00 UTC 2018

I see it's more about freeradius than samba at this point, so I'm not
very comfortable writing on samba list about this topic (if it's
inapropriate, someone please tell me), but to share my experience:

passchange was tested on windows 7/10 joined to the samba AD domain
since that's in my case the obvious mschpav2 client. I had simply tried
logging as users with "password has to be changed on the next logon". I
tried it with wireless (eap-peap) and 802.1x for wired (eap-peap).

Enabling password change with mschpav2 for freeradius requires also
setting in /mods-available/eap in mschapv2 section:

  mschapv2 {
                send_error = yes

I tested it strictly with windows computers, so I believe it's really
dependent on what is trying to authenticate. For windows (7 and above
tested) You have to also set via GPO or manually 802.1x authentication
settings, one of them is to allow for extra windows during logon
process. If it is setup, than You will get, as a user with expired
password, prompt to change Your password (typical: old password - new
password - retype new password). And it works in this setup (samba 4.7.6
DC, freeradius with 4.6.2 samba as domain member, with setting on samba
DC ntlm auth = mschpav2-and-ntlmv2-only).

Basically, from what i understand, there are certain errors that can
happen during mschapv2 authorization, one of them is "password is
correct but expired" and with proper settings it's possible to allow
connecting client to change password. I never bothered looking up, what
else, except for windows clients can benefit from the password change,
so I can't help You more than this.