[Samba] Share users across domains

Harry Jede walk2sun at arcor.de
Tue Mar 27 22:11:06 UTC 2018

Am Dienstag, 27. März 2018, 21:58:22 CEST schrieb Rowland Penny:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 22:41:15 +0200
>
> Harry Jede via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 27. März 2018, 14:25:47 CEST schrieb Rodrigo Abrantes
> >
> > Antunes via samba:
> > >   I forgot to mention, I'm using samba 3.
> >
> > OK. Quiet old thingy :-(
> >
> > you should read realy old docs:
> > https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/old/Samba3-HOWTO/
> > InterdomainTrusts.html
> >
> > chapter : Interdomain Trust Facilities
> >
> > Have fun
>
> Please don't give the OP ideas,
Why not? Are you my master of any kind?

> Samba 3 is dead
Yes

> and shouldn't be used
Yes

> to set up anything new.
Hmmh, I thought the op uses two samba3 (NT) style domain with
thousands of users.

> I can understand maintaining an existing
> NT4-style domain, but not setting up a new one.
>
> It gets harder and harder to keep windows machines working with an
> NT4-style domain,
No and no,
M$ trys to set up new windows client installations to not work with NT-
Domains. And yes, that is ok if security is the thing what one prefers.

But sometimes sysadmins has other reasons to use old software and wish
support.

> it doesn't make sense to set up a new one, not when
> it is easier to set up and maintain an AD domain.
Yes

@ Rodrigo Abrantes Antunes
An idea to get things to work:

Setup a testbed with current samba version.
Their are to many changes from old samba3 to current release. You should
not expect that old config statements will work with newer releases of
samba. So try to find out which server statements in smb.conf maps to
your old behaviour.

If this is OK for you, try the domain join. But do not expect, that the join
command works as described in the old docs. You are using much newer
software.

PS
And yes, NT style domains are insecure from the first day I have seen
them. Are Ad domains secure???

--

Gruss
	Harry Jede