[Samba] 10 minutes between primary group change and effect on Fedora 27

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 16:03:47 UTC 2018

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 9:51 AM, Rowland Penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 09:36:49 -0600
> Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 9:15 AM, Rowland Penny <rpenny at samba.org>
>> >
>> > idmap config MIND:unix_primary_group = yes
>> OK I added this line
>> Is that not the default behavior?
>
> No
> See here:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_4.6_Features_added/changed#winbind_primary_group_and_nss_info

Ah now I can set them different I see I was changing both to be
consistent anyways. This explains my testing about 2 weeks ago.

>>It seemed to work after ten minutes like I wanted.
>> I just wanted to speed up by flushing the cache or something.
>
> Are you sure it isn't about 5 minutes ?

I'll buy it being 5 minutes. It just seems a little longer but yeah
about 5 minutes.

> There is the default setting in smb.conf: winbind cache time = 300
> This is the default time (in seconds) to cache user & group info

Ahh but, isn't "net cache flush" suppose to flush this instantly?
Is there another command to flush instantly?
If not I can tell my users to wait that isn't too too long.