[Samba] freeradius + NTLM + samba AD 4.5.x

Kacper Wirski kacper.wirski at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 20:38:20 UTC 2018

Ok, I finally could try it out, and it seems to actually work, but You
need samba 4.7 on all machines, not only AD, but also server with
freeradius. I didn't get a chance to test it locally, that is samba AD +
freeradius on the same server.

Setup: 4.7.6 AD server and 4.6.2 samba member + freeradius didn't work
(got simple "nt_status_wrong_password")

but: 4.7.6 AD and 4.7.1 samba + freeradius works just fine. It's clearly
visible in logs.

While using "ntlm auth = yes" I was getting in audit log
Authentication_passwordType = NTLMv1, but with ntlm auth =
ntlmv2-and-mschap2-only audit log shows Authentication_passwordType as
"MSCHAP2"

Not sure what's the case, maybe only starting with samba 4.7 ntlm_auth
can send correct flag?

Hope that helps.