[Samba] Replication Failure Issue

lingpanda101 lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 12:13:52 UTC 2018

On 3/25/2018 8:54 PM, David Minard wrote:

> On 24/03/18 01:35, lingpanda101 wrote:
>> On 3/22/2018 8:06 PM, David Minard wrote:
>>> G'day All,
>>>
>>>     Will replay to all messages so far in this one to keep it all
>>> together.

>>> I will turn up the logs and test it out.
>>>
>>> I use Bind-9.9.4-51 (before update 9.9.4-18)
>>>
>>> yum history shows 348 packages that got updated... Bind being one.
>>> Will sift through them.
>>>
>>> My firewall is very lose. All ports are open for the subnets on
>>> which the samba servers need to talk. eg:
>>>
>>> -A INPUT -s 172.20.0.0/16 -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp -j ACCEPT
>>> -A INPUT -s 172.20.0.0/16 -p udp -m state --state NEW -m udp -j ACCEPT
>>>
>>> When I first set this up with 4.0.0-a2 (or whatever it was right at
>>> the beginning), I was not able to work out what ports exactly were
>>> needed, hence the lose rules. Now I see they are documented clearly
>>> on the Samba site, I will tighten them up, but not until the issue
>>> is resolved.
>>>
>>> My samba is complied from source. I am currently running 4.3.2. It's
>>> been running flawlessly so no urgency to update, until the huge
>>> security hole was announced the other week. Now I've got to get it
>>> done, but want the ailing server going right first - or should I
>>> just do the updates and then worry about the ailing server?
>>>
>>> Smb.conf:
>>>
>>> # Global parameters
>>> [global]
>>>     workgroup = SCEM_AD
>>>     realm = samba4.scem.westernsydney.edu.au
>>>     netbios name = SAMBA4-10
>>>     server role = active directory domain controller
>>>     server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
>>> drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
>>>
>>> #        log level = 1 auth:2
>>> # logs split per machine
>>>         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>>>         # max 50KB per log file, then rotate
>>>         max log size = 0
>>>
>>> [netlogon]
>>>     path =
>>> /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/samba4.scem.westernsydney.edu.au/scripts
>>>
>>>     read only = No
>>>
>>> [sysvol]
>>>     path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol
>>>     read only = No
>>>

>>> It is the out of the box config from the original provision.
>>>

>> I myself would hold off updating until you correct the DC's with the
>> issues. Anything in the Samba logs or yum history stand out? You can
>> try and force replication 'samba-tool drs replicate --full-sync' from
>> FirstDC to SecondDC.
>>

> The first thing I tried, was the forced replication on NC that was
> unhappy:
>
> # samba-tool drs replicate Broken-DC Working-DC
> DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=samba4,DC=scem,DC=westernsydney,DC=edu,DC=au
> --full-sync
> Replicate from Working-DC to Broken-DC was successful.
>
> Then doing the showrepl on all DCs, everything seemed fine.
>

> I held off sending this message for a couple of hours, and things are
> [...]
Before you try anything further I would suggest you make a good backup
of your current DC not exhibiting any replication issues.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Back_up_and_Restoring_a_Samba_AD_DC

Have you tried correcting the force replication with a known good DC?

You can try to further troubleshoot the issues and attempt to resolve,
but the easiest thing IMO would be to join new DC's to the domain.
Remove the other two DC's from the domain and never join them again.

James