[Samba] Samba NT4 to AD- LDAP

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Mar 24 20:00:41 UTC 2018

On Sun, 25 Mar 2018 08:01:57 +1300
Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2018-03-24 at 12:50 +0000, Praveen Ghimire via samba wrote:
> > Hi Rowland,
> >
> > I did that initially and that came with
> > Failed to connect to ldap URL 'ldap://lin-pdc.lin - LDAP client
> > internal error: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME Hence I removed the
> > whole ldap:// bit
> >
> > After your email I tried again but using ldap://localhost and it
> > seems to have worked. Not sure what the issue is with the fqdn. I
> > could run ldap queries when using fqdn.
> >

> This patch should fix it.
>
> Praveen can you test it?
>
> Rowland, after Praveen has tested it, perhaps you would like to review
> it?  We don't have the infrastructure for a test against the LDAP
> backend (a long-standing problem) so sadly there is no automatic
> test.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Hi Andrew,, but what if the ldap server isn't on localhost ?

Praveen's smb.conf had this:

idmap config *: ldap_url = ldap://lin-pdc.lin/

This is valid, so it looks like the 'idmap config' lines need to be
parsed as well. Check if 'ldapsam' contains the URL, if not parse the
'idmap config' lines for the URL and then, if still not found, fall
back to 'localhost'

Rowland