[Samba] Random disconnects from Samba server

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Mar 16 22:13:07 UTC 2018

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 21:43:39 +0000
"Hirayama, Pat" <phirayam at fredhutch.org> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> Thank you.  Unfortunately, I do need widelinks -- in fact, that is
> the main purpose for this Samba server -- the users connect to their
> home share and follow the Linux symlinks that reside there to other
> (remote) file systems, rather than navigating a really long directory
> path.

There must be a better way of doing this, dfs shares ??

> And while I am running Samba 4.4 on CentOS 7, the test/replacement
> box that I am working with is Samba 4.3 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Should I
> still uncomment one of those idmap entries?

I would go to Ubuntu 18.04, this will get you a Samba supported
version, both 4.3.x & 4.4.x are EOL as far as Samba is concerned.
If you do go with 18.04, you will need to make some changes to the 'ad
backend lines, use these instead:

# 'ad' backend
# If uidNumber & gidNumber attributes in AD
# They must be inside 5000-1999999
#idmap config XXXXX:backend = ad
#idmap config XXXXX:range = 5000-1999999
#idmap config XXXXX:schema_mode = rfc2307
#idmap config XXXXX:unix_nss_info = yes
# If you want to use another group for the
# users primary group instead of Domain Users
# uncomment the next line as well
#idmap config XXXXX:unix_primary_group = yes

And yes you do need the lines, winbind will not work without them, you
just need the right lines depending on the backend type and if 'ad',
the right lines for the Samba version.

> Oh, and the home/homes shares seem to work because they are being
> served from a NetApp.  At least, that's what one of our storage
> engineers once told me.

Well yes, but probably because you had 'path' in the [homes] share,
which is not normally used.

Rowland