[Samba] [Announce] Samba 4.8.0 Available for Download

lingpanda101 lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 13:02:27 UTC 2018

On 3/13/2018 3:22 PM, Karolin Seeger via samba wrote:

> Release Announcements
> ---------------------
>
> This is the first stable release of the Samba 4.8 release series.
> Please read the release notes carefully before upgrading.
>

> UPGRADING
> =========
>

> NEW FEATURES/CHANGES
> ====================
>
> New GUID Index mode in sam.ldb for the AD DC
>
> The new layout used for sam.ldb is GUID, rather than DN oriented.
> This provides Samba's Active Directory Domain Controller with a faster
> database, particularly at larger scale.
>
> The underlying DB is still TDB, simply the choice of key has changed.
>
> The new mode is not optional, so no configuration is required.  Older
> Samba versions cannot read the new database (see the upgrade
> note above).
>
> KDC GPO application
> -------------------
>
> Adds Group Policy support for the Samba kdc. Applies password policies
> (minimum/maximum password age, minimum password length, and password
> complexity) and kerberos policies (user/service ticket lifetime and
> renew lifetime).
>
> Adds the samba_gpoupdate script for applying and unapplying
> policy. Can be applied automatically by setting
>
>   'apply group policies = yes'.

Hello,

     I have a few questions on the above. My upgrades since Samba 4.0
has always been in place as reference. The first change regarding 'New
GUID index mode'.  Does this mean when I upgrade 1 of my current 4.7.x
DC's to 4.8.0, the other remaining 4.7.x DC's will not replicate until
they have been updated? I normally update one DC at a time and verify
replication is still working before preceding on to the next.

The other feature 'KDC GPO application'. Will the command 'samba-tool
domain passwordsettings show' display the GPO settings? I take it the
account lockout duration/threshold and reset account lockout must still
be set via. samba-tool? Thanks.

James