[Samba] Kerberos not working after moving Samba AD DC to new server

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 11:41:56 UTC 2018

On 09/03/18 11:22, Rob Thoman wrote:
> Check the kr5b.conf and confirm DNS is working

After taking the entire server apart, upgrading all the packages,
re-compiling Bind several times over against MIT Kerberos and then
against Heimdal Kerberos, transferring over the Samba configs and
databases again from the old server and running line by line through
every single test in the Samba wiki I could find, it turns out that it
was simply the interface option in smb.conf. The old server was using
eth1 for the internal lan, while the new one was using a bridge on br0
(which ties eth1 as well), because there are some virtual machines there
as well. So the new server was trying to bind Samba to eth1, which
didn't have its own IP.

It is strange though that I have not seen a single error message in 8
hours of troubleshooting to hint at the interface configuration being
the problem. Samba is setup to listen on the loop interface as well, but
I guess the Kerberos dns entries were pointing specifically to the LAN
IP of the server.

Oh well, just another day at the office :-)