[Samba] Error joining Samba 4.7.4 DC to existing Win2008R2 domain

Claudio Nicora claudio.nicora at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 15:04:44 UTC 2018

Il 06/03/2018 05:36, denis.shigapov ha scritto:
> It is also desirable to check the access rights to DomainDnsZones and
> subfolders, this can be done through the ADSI editor.

Thanks Denis, one of the screenshots attached to your message turned on
the light on my issue, you're the winner ;)

It seems that my Win2000-->Win2008R2 DNS upgrade went wrong or, at
least, it was uncomplete.
I was completely missing the new "_msdcs.samdom.local" zone, I only had
a subdomain "_msdcs" under the main "samdom.local" domain.
All DNS tests I've done worked, because they were returning records from
"_msdcs.samdom.local" subdomain and not from the root of the missing
"_msdcs.samdom.local" zone.
(in my head having both a subdomain and a zone with the same name is a
mess, but that's another story...)

Now, looking the attached picture turned the light on; I've manually
created the missing zone:
* created the new "_msdcs.samdom.local" zone on SRVAD-OLD
* set it to replicate forest-wide (some records should appear
automatically)
* set domain zone "samdom.local" and its reverse zone to replicate
domain-wide
* run these commands:
     net stop netlogon
     net start netlogon
     nltest /dsregdns

After these steps the join completed without issues at first shot.
I've also reverted back to initial snapshots and retested the whole join
again and I can confirm it works!

Thanks to all the people that helped me solving the issue.

Cheers
Claudio

Выделение_008.png