[Samba] Debug SMBD memory leak/usage

Timur I. Bakeyev timur at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 6 03:29:41 UTC 2018

Hi!

I've got numerous reports that SMBD on FreeBSD in some situations eats a
lot of (all) memory and as a last resort thought about using memory
allocation debugging to get better picture of where the memory leaks.

I guess I haven't done that for quite a while, as '--enable-dmalloc' option
from Samba 3.x has disappeared in Samba .4.x and supplying -DENABLE_DMALLOC
to CFLAGS doesn't add -ldmalloc to the list of libs to link with and hence
Samba build fails.

So, how should I make Samba to be build with dmalloc? And is this setup
actually supported?

At least smbcontrol still has options:
        dmalloc-mark
        dmalloc-log-changed

Using:

         pool-usage                    Display talloc memory usage

Showed ridiculously small memory usage footprint by talloc, like 300Kb for
the 12Gb smbd process.

So, what are the current options to debug and trace down memory over-usage
and leaks in Samba?

With best regards,
Timur Bakeyev.