[Samba] AD DCs Upgrade

Paul Littlefield info at paully.co.uk
Mon Mar 5 11:58:41 UTC 2018

> No, SAMBA1 is a DC and SAMBA2 is another DC.

OK.

> Er no, your DCs shouldn't be getting their IP via DHCP, they should
> have a fixed IP.

Yes, they will, sorry for the confusion... I was simply referring to the fact that all other computers on the LAN will know about all 4 DCs :)

> Why ? You could do this once the new DCs are up and running.

OK.

> This should work.

Great!

> You should try to transfer the FSMO roles first and this will not make
> it the PDC, it will just make it the DC with all the FSMO roles, a PDC
> is something else entirely.

Fair enough. So, a 'fsmo transfer' rather than a 'fsmo sieze' then is preferable?

OK, this one - https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Demoting_a_Samba_AD_DC ?

> I would only demote and remove the two old DCs once the two new ones
> are working correctly. You will also need to sync sysvol between the
> old and new DCs.

Yes, will do.

> Finally, you will still be using schema version 47

Ah, so I need to do this last then?

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Raising_the_Functional_Levels

Paul