[Samba] User permissions of profile/home directory lost

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Thu Mar 1 04:00:24 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I run a small domain for my home that consists just of two user
accounts... one for my wife and one for me. I just have a single DC and
the home and profile shares are located on the DC. For years this setup
has served just fine giving me access to both linux and windows with a
unified authentication and file server base.

However, on Monday around 12 noon MST my wife lost permissions to her
home and profile directories on both our Windows 7 Pro and CentOS 6&7
systems. If I logged into the DC and did 'getent passwd' her account
showed up correctly. A 'ls -lat' command showed that the directory/files
were owned properly by my wife's account. A getfacl showed that the ACLs
were exactly like my own account which functioned properly. There was
absolutely no reason for her to be denied permission to her directories
or the files contained therein. And the permission issue was present
even on the DC.

After struggling with this problem for the past 48 hours I decided to do
a 'chown -R' on her profile and home directories, even though I thought
this was silly since other linux commands indicated everything was setup
correctly. Much to my surprise the 'chown -R' command fixed the problem.

I am at a loss as to what could have possibly occurred to make the DC
believe that my wife's account was not the owner of her home and profile
directory and the files contained in those directories. It seems even
stranger that on the DC, linux indicated that my wife's account owned
the files but yet would not grant permission even though the ownership
and ACLs were correct.

Everything is well now, albeit for how long I don't know. I would be
extremely grateful for any thoughts on what might have occurred and how
to avoid this issue in the future. My wife's email was lost for ~48
hours because a bounce occurred due to the inability of dovecot to write
to her account's maildir. Needless to say my wife was not happy and an
unhappy wife ... well I let's just say I would like to avoid that in the
future.

Thank you for any insights.
--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)