[Samba] Developed an issue with Samba File Server integrated with Samba-AD

Anantha Raghava raghav at exzatechconsulting.com
Sat Jun 30 16:39:12 UTC 2018

>>> Hello Rowland,

>>> This is matching. I was just comparing the smb.conf of AD DC on
>>> exza.com server with that of CSAEROTHERM.COM. Since it was same, I
>>> just copied smb.conf from exza.com server and attached to the mail.
>>>
>>> I tried the your suggestion. I attempted to leave domain. it resulted
>>> in:
>>>
>>> root at samba-64:/var/lib/samba# net ads leave -U administrator
>>> No realm set, are we joined ?
>>>
>>> & If I try to join the domain, it results in :
>>>
>>> root at samba-64:/var/lib/samba# net ads join -U administrator
>>> Host is not configured as a member server.
>>> Invalid configuration.  Exiting....
>>> Failed to join domain: This operation is only allowed for the PDC of
>>> the domain.

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Anantha Raghava
>> I ran your smb.conf through testparm and it found something I missed,
>> you do not have a [global] section ;-)
>> You have a [gdlobal] section !
> MY GOD!!!

Thanks a TON Rowland...It's back to normal. Just can't imagine how this
small spelling mistake all of our eyes!!! We were all set to install a
new server and move terabytes of data from this failed server to new one.

We can now peacefully setup a new server with with new samba version and
move data with minimum disruption to regular work.

Again Thanks a TON..

>> Rowland

Regards,
Anantha Raghava