[Samba] heidmal to mit adminstrator password expired

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 29 21:05:01 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-06-28 at 09:17 +0300, Alexis Pellicier via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using samba as active directory with heidmal kerberos. I would like to
> switch to MIT kerberos as this is the implementation my distrib has chosen.
>
> I've made my kdc.conf according to these instructions:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Running_a_Samba_AD_DC_with_MIT_Kerberos_KDC
>
> But I can't authenticate it seems all my password are expired.
>
> kinit administrator at SAMBA.DOM
> Password for administrator at SAMBA.DOM
> Password expired.  You must change it now.
>
> But I can't change it:
> kinit: Password has expired while getting initial credentials
>
> Here is the logs of this action:
>
> Jun 28 09:00:08  krb5kdc[13768](info): AS_REQ (8 etypes {18 17 20 19 16 23
> 25 26}) 192.168.1.194: CLIENT KEY EXPIRED: administrator at SAMBA.DOM for
> krbtgt/SAMBA.DOM at SAMBA.DOM, Password has expired

> I 'm not sure but maybe if I could reset the admin password it could help?
> Is there any way of doing that?

This is not the first report I have of this.  Sadly I don't know what
is going on, and the MIT KDC backend for Samba is new and may still
have issues.

I suggest just using the default Heimdal one for now, and filing a bug
so it can be investigated.

Specifically, you are not expected to take any extra steps to use the
MIT backend (after a re-compile with a compatible MIT krb5), so by
definition this is a bug on our side.

I've CC'ed Andreas, the lead developer of the MIT KDC feature, perhaps
he can provide some more enlightenment.

Sorry,

Andrew Bartlett