[Samba] Not Able to access cifs when AD connected to different network

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jun 27 21:06:27 UTC 2018

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 02:03:24 +0530
VigneshDhanraj G <vigneshdhanraj.g at gmail.com> wrote:

> the problem is actually, i have two networks one is 192.168.1.* and
> 192.168.4.* , I have my linux pc in which samba server is running and
> it is in 192.168.1.12 and i have a AD server GNANA.COM in
> 192.168.1.14.
>
> i have shares which is having permission for only local linux users.
>
> i moved my linux pc from 192.168.1.12 to 192.168.4.12, samba server is
> running with the same config when it was running in 192.168.1.12
> network. now i accessing cifs it shows no logon servers directly.
> Before in samba 4.5.15 i usually do this i will not get any errors it
> will list the shares available.

Ah, so, for all intents and purposes, you are treating the PC much the
same as a laptop that has gone off site.

This means, only users that have authenticated when the machine was
in the domain and have been cached, will be able to log in as domain
users. Anyone else will be mapped to 'nobody' and allowed access to
shares if they also have 'guest ok = yes'.

I have to say that most people do not move machines around in this way,
have you considered setting the machine up as a standalone server ?

There have been a lot changes to Samba since 4.5.x and this must have
been one of them. You move the machine out of the subnet and it then
cannot find any of its DC's, so all it can do is report that, 'I cannot
find any logon servers'.
You need to configure your network and the client so that when you move
it, it can find the DC's.

Rowland