[Samba] How to Join Mac OSX workstation as AD domain member

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Wed Jun 27 17:58:46 UTC 2018

Well, I've made some progress. Excuse the detail, but this might help others as I've so far
found NOTHING on this, including with the Mac Enterprise maillist (so far).

If I unchecked all the Directory Utility mapping options, I was able to log in! Yeah! But, the
UID.GID numbers were 1793602029.1840809715.

Next I tried just setting the "Map group GID to attribute" to 10000 (my 'Domain Users' group).
That did nothing to change the GID, but I could still log on.

Leaving the above setting in place, I next I tried setting "Map user GID to attribute" to
10000.  That gave me UID.GIDs of 1793602029.20.  Strange.

Next I tried setting "Map user GID to attribute" to the string "gidNumber".  That worked and my
UID.GIDs were now 1793602029.10000.

Next I tried setting "Map UID to attribute" to 10001 (my domain UID).  I couldn't log on at all
as the domain user.

Next I tried setting "Map UID to Attribute" to the string "uidNumber".  That worked and my
UID.GIDs were then 10001.10000.

At this point, I do have correct domain user UID and GID. Upon login the Mac creates folders in
the home directory:

$ ls -ln
total 0
drwx------+  3 10001  10000   102 Jun 27 13:16 Desktop
drwx------+  3 10001  10000   102 Jun 27 13:16 Documents
drwx------+  3 10001  10000   102 Jun 27 13:16 Downloads
drwx------@ 46 10001  10000  1564 Jun 27 13:26 Library
drwx------+  3 10001  10000   102 Jun 27 13:16 Movies
drwx------+  3 10001  10000   102 Jun 27 13:16 Music
drwx------+  3 10001  10000   102 Jun 27 13:16 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x+  4 10001  10000   136 Jun 27 13:16 Public

These folders are empty and NOT connected to the redirected desktop.  I'm guessing the Mac AD
setup doesn't bother much with Group Policies.  Not necessarily a big deal as the Linux domain
members also do not auto-map to the redirected folders on the DC.  However, Linux does create
the home folder as specified in sam.ldb and does designate that as $HOME which Mac is not
doing.  So, some questions:

If I were either to change this user's unixHomeDirectory (sam.ldb) from /home/HPRS/mark to
/Users/mark, would that make a difference? I supposed I could also try creating the /home/HPRS
directory on the Mac and see if a login plops me there.

On Linux, I've used NFS export on the DC and autofs on the domain member to mount the user's
redirected folders. I could try the same thing on Mac. Rowland has mentioned vfs_fruit, which
I've done some reading on. Is vfs_fruit the recommended way of doing remote mounts on Mac? I
have done basic smb mounts from mac using CMD-K > sbm:\\host\share. Suggestions on this?

Meanwhile, I'll do more experimentation.

THX --Mark