[Samba] How to Join Mac OSX workstation as AD domain member

Kris Lou klou at themusiclink.net
Tue Jun 26 22:25:56 UTC 2018

There are basically 3 ways:
* dsconfigad (https://gist.github.com/bzerangue/6886182)
* via Configuration Profile
* via GUI, which you've found

There's also a toggle "Allow Network Users to Log in" via System Prefs ->
Users -> Login Options

However ...
* Network Homes is difficult (at best)
* Changing passwords on the DC does not automatically refresh the local
profile's Keychain
* Network Users require a constant connection to the DC -- which obviously
doesn't work well for 1:1.  So more sites are favoring Mobile Users (with
local homes).

https://nomad.menu/ helps to solve a lot of the above without binding to AD
-- but I haven't used it, so YMMV.  You might also be interested in the
MacEnterprise mailing list.

-Kris

Kris Lou
klou at themusiclink.net