[Samba] Functional Levels

Paul Littlefield info at paully.co.uk
Sun Jun 24 09:47:13 UTC 2018

On 21/06/2018 16:21, Paul Littlefield via samba wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I would like to raise the Functional Level of two production 4.7.6-Ubuntu DCs to 2008R2.
>
> There is a mix of Windows Server 2008 + 2012 performing RDS, Sage and SQL, along with a mix of Windows 7 and Windows 10 desktops all joined to the DOMAIN.
>
> What do I need to be worried about when performing this?
>
> (Obviously, the two DCs will be backed up and everything else switched off first :)
>
> "Here's what we know so far..."
>
> root at dc3:~# samba-tool domain level show
> Domain and forest function level for domain 'DC=X,DC=com'
> Forest function level: (Windows) 2003
> Domain function level: (Windows) 2003
>
> root at dc3:~# ldbsearch -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb -b 'cn=Schema,cn=Configuration,dc=X,dc=com' -s base objectVersion
> # record 1
> dn: CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=X,DC=com
> objectVersion: 47

OK, so I can report that the Functional Level raising went fine.

I didn't know whether it would replicate to the other DC but it did and there have been no problems.

This is what I did...

* backup of both DCs
* shut down all Computers and Servers
* perform upgrade
   * samba-tool domain level show
   * samba-tool domain level raise --domain-level=2008_R2
   * samba-tool domain level raise --forest-level=2008_R2
   * samba-tool domain level show
* wait 5 mins and check replication
* reboot both DCs
* login to both DCs to check all OK
* turn on V-HOST and Windows Servers first
* check remote login on RDS
* turn on TEST PC and check login
* turn on rest of PCs

Just in case anyone wants to know.