[Samba] Ubuntu 18:04 not getting 'home' directory from DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jun 20 09:57:04 UTC 2018

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 11:36:06 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hai Bob,
>
> And what does the wiki tell you about RID/AD backend AND .....
> Well even i had troubles finding the page again. So.. .its not you..
>
> The wiki, is getting to complex and is having to much side links to
> other pages. You need to set one or more of the following settings.
>
>         template homedir = /home/%D/%U
>         template shell = /bin/false
>         usershare template share =
>         winbind nss info = template
>

> Rowland can  you follow this path.
> ( think in, install a member )
> 1)
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member
> Look for any reference for the template settings, if you use RID.
>
> Maybe its an option to link some specific settings to these on the
> page. ad  idmap config ad  idmap_ad(8)
> rid  idmap config rid  idmap_rid(8)
>
> Anyhow, for you i suggest the folling.
>
> Member : home path in the share.
> /mnt/Filestore/user-folders
>
> And this is the default:
>         template homedir = /home/%D/%U
>
> Change/add this
>         template homedir = /mnt/Filestore/%U
>

> Greetz,
>
> Louis

The problem with the wikipage is, just what Louis said, it is too
complex and all over the place. Until somebody said something, I wasn't
going to alter it, mainly because when I pointed this out, I upset the
person that wrote it.

In my opinion, the wiki should be easy to understand and follow, even
if this means the same information being on several pages. To me, the
whole idea of a wiki, is to get the information across to users, not to
make it easy to maintain.

As is, it is very easy to miss that you must add various options to
smb.conf to get a fully working Unix domain member.

I am open to ideas on how to update the Unix domain member wikipage, my
first thought is to put everything on one page, but as I say, I am open
to suggestions.

Rowland