[Samba] Does DomainCompatibilityMode still work for NT4 domain joins in Windows 10?

David Whitney soonerdew at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 14:45:13 UTC 2018

Rowland, thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I did pull a NetMon trace of DNS queries from the W10 Pro box, and sure
enough, even with the DomainCompatibilityMode and DNSNameResolutionRequired
registry settings applied (and verified for typos or strange characters or
other possible flotsam), the only DNS lookup the box tries is to the
conspicuous AD entry (_ldap....). I think that last bit of native support
is really gone. You're right; we all knew it would happen eventually :)

As far as migrating - in reality, my Samba server is a trivially simple
home setup that I installed years ago and have maintained for my own hobby
interest and education. I've gone through several migrations from older
versions, and it really exists otherwise only as a file server. It's fun to
have domain-joined machines on my network, but it has never been essential.
In that vein, I have the luxury of upgrading/migrating to a Samba AD
domain, or not. If nothing else, we might get the word out that the door
may have closed on this part of NT legacy support. (And, frankly, I'd
rather not drop the SMB support level down to just NT1 anyway)

Thanks again for your information and insight, Rowland. It is much
appreciated!

-David