[Samba] Building rpcclient statically linked?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jun 18 18:39:23 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-06-18 at 10:35 -0400, pisymbol via samba wrote:
> Small addendum, I did try:
>
> ./configure --nonshared-binary=ALL
>
> ERROR: source source3/smbd/notify_msg.c is in more than one subsystem of
> target 'smbstatus': ['smbd_base.objlist', 'smbstatus.objlist']
>
> This is CentOS 7.5.
>
> -aps

Building more than smbd and smbtorture nonshared is simply not tested.

The configure incantation for those is --nonshared-
binary=smbtorture,smbd/smbd

You can try --nonshared-binary=rpcclient but I suspect it will fail
similarly, because so far nobody has done the work to ensure that each
C file is only in one subsystem.

Now, you have actually identified a bug, for smbstatus notify_msg.c is
listed twice in the wscript_build file.  Ideally Samba (or at least
larger parts of Samba) would build as you suggest because it does
identify real-world issues.  While this file has no static data, if a C

file is linked in twice with static data the results can be un-desired.

>From here however you can only try, and work to break up our dependency
list into a directed acyclic graph.  This is harder than is looks!

Finally, perhaps you could detail what you are hoping to achieve with a
static rpcclient?  We may have another way to assist you with your
aims.

Sorry,

Andrew Bartlett