[Samba] Mounting samba share

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jun 15 15:12:07 UTC 2018

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 14:04:01 +0000
Suman Koirala via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I was trying to mount a samba share from a host server using
> pam_mount module. This is my smb.conf for client machine and my
> pam-mount.conf.xml.
>

> [global]
>         log level = all:10
>         security = ads
> #        auth methods = guest sam winbind:ntdomain
>         client ldap sasl wrapping = seal
>         netbios name = STAT1
>         realm = EXAMPLE.EDU
>         workgroup = WORKGROUP
>         client max protocol = NT1
>         idmap config * : backend      = ldap
>         #idmap config * : ldap_url     = ldaps://newserver.example.edu
>         idmap config * : ldap_url     = ldap://newserver.example.edu
>         idmap config * : ldap_base_dn =
> ou=idmap,dc=newserver,dc=example,dc=edu idmap config * : ldap_user_dn
> = cn=admin,dc=newserver,dc=example,dc=edu idmap config * : default =
> yes #idmap config * : range = 120001-190000
>         idmap config * : range = 10000-999999
>         winbind separator = +
>         winbind enum users = yes
>         winbind enum groups = yes
>         winbind use default domain = yes
>         template homedir = /home/mountpoint/%U
>         template shell = /bin/bash
>         client use spnego = yes
>         domain master = no
>         local master = no
>         preferred master = no
>         os level = 0
>         wins support = no
>         name resolve order = wins bcast host
>         ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=newserver,dc=example,dc=edu
>         ldap ssl = no

That smb.conf is so wrong, I don't really know where to start ;-)

Lets try here: It is for a Unix domain member, or at least 'security =
ads' says it is. You cannot use the ldap backend!

Try reading this:

If you have added uidNumber & gidNumber attributes to AD, use the 'ad'
backend, if you haven't, use the 'rid' backend.

Rowland