[Samba] Samba, AD, 'short' name resolving...

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 14:25:01 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 4:27 AM Marco Gaiarin via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Touble arise in windows client accessing server aliases; I'm used to
> define some aliases for servers (so i use \\FILEPP\).
> I define aliases with:
>
> a) cname in AD DNS, and work:
>
>         root at vdmtms1:~# host filepp
>         filepp.ad.fvg.lnf.it is an alias for vdmpp1.ad.fvg.lnf.it.
>         vdmpp1.ad.fvg.lnf.it has address 10.27.1.22

I know I'm kind of late on this thread, but DFS is a much more sane way to
do file server aliases.   you'd have "\\ad\filepp" and in that "\share\"
which points to  "\\vdmpp1\share". can even point a share to multiple
servers if they have their storage clustered or replicated.