[Samba] Weird permissions issues with samba shares and XFS

David Cournapeau dcournapeau at cogent.co.jp
Thu Jun 14 10:27:09 UTC 2018

Hi Louis,

Thanks for answering.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 4:56 PM, L.P.H. van Belle via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Read this :
>
> SHARE Permissions:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs
> See : Setting Share Permissions and ACLs
> Click Start, enter Computer Management, and start the application.
> Select Action / Connect to another computer.
> Enter the name of the Samba host and click OK to connect the console to
> the host.
> Open the System Tools / Shared Folders / Shares menu entry.
>
> Folder permissions:
> Use explorer, browse to a folder, goto the security tab.
>
> Your problem is the "SHARE" permission.
>
> By default the SHARE permission is everybody Full controll
> Thats ok, now everybody is able to read/write..
> But only if the FOLDER permissions allow it.

So right now, I am not so concerned about the exact permissions as much as
understanding why something cannot be accessed at all (in particular just
listing directory content).

> My guess..
> /storage/test does not have the correct persmissions
> Share permissiong allow to write but Folder permissions not.
>
> And cp...
>
> cp -a  --preserve=xattr  wil help imo.

Thanks, I was not aware of this option, though here `cp -a` was actually
enough to get access (while adjusting unix + acl manually to match did not
work).

> Below i bit more

Here every folder has at least r and x for others, so it should not matter
in this case, right ? But just in case, the user is `dcournapeau` and:

$ groups
dcournapeau domain_users research_engineering vpn_access ml_engineering
server_admins cglnas01_ssh_access global_ssh_access cglnas01_admins
backup_admins lastpass_sync-exempt prtg_monitor_access ml_assignment
hwr_data

My number one issue is the different behavior for 2 directories that seem
to have exactly the same permissions.

> ls -l /storage/test/
> > drwxrwxr-x+ 2 root domain_admins 6 Jun 14 10:37 bar
> > drwxrwxr-x+ 2 root domain_admins 6 Jun 14 10:37 foo
>
> You missed ls -l /storage
> What are the rights on /storage/test ?

Indeed:

$ ls -l /storage/
drwxrwxr-x. 4 root domain_admins   28 Jun 14 10:37 test

Thank you for your help,

David

Greetz,

> Louis