[Samba] Samba, AD, 'short' name resolving...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Wed Jun 13 16:41:02 UTC 2018

Mandi! L.P.H. van Belle via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

> > c) seems to use some ''random'' AD DNS, not the one in the site, for
> >  example.
> Yes that is correct. ( The DC Locator Process does that )
> If you dont want that, you can assign by GPO a preffered server.
> You can set it as preffered server per site in the GPO. ( note, a pc needs 2 reboots )
> Set the variable logon server in a GPO.
> Thats one of the options.

I've looked at options (and the link you posted) but i'm a bit puzzled.

Reading the (un)menaningful explanation, seems to me that by default
the DC locator have to prefere local DC (that have cost 0) insted of
remote ones (that have cost 100 or more).

I've enabled 'try next closest site' but seems to me is not the
solution...

> And try this setting.
> include "/etc/bind/rndc.key";
>     controls {
>     inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndc-key; };
> };

Still i've not clear how this stanza have to do with dns and windows
client, but... i'll add. ;-)