[Samba] NSS and group enumeration in CUPS...

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Jun 13 08:11:28 UTC 2018

Hai Marco,

What i did, i added 1 real linux user in the group unix group lpadmin.
With this user i configured the webinterface and set kerberos auth.
( i did already setup ssl things like that for the webinterface. )

Get this file.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thctlo/samba4/master/samba-check-SePrivileges.sh
This shows you all groups and privileges that are setup.
You should see almost everywhere.
  BUILTIN\Administrators
And   NTDOM\Domain Admins

Goto the technet link in that file, and check the windows groups you need.
Ps. New link:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/dn579255(v=ws.11)#print-operators
I'll update the file.
Set the seprivilege for the needed group ( BUILTIN\Print Operators )
My cups.conf but its almost untouched. I've set these in cupsd.conf and i did not touch any other cups file.

Port 631
ServerName print1.internal.domain.tld
ServerAlias *
ServerTokens None
ServerCertificate /etc/cups/ssl/server.crt
ServerKey /etc/cups/ssl/server.key
Browsing Off
BrowseLocalProtocols none
DefaultAuthType Negotiate
WebInterface Yes

The setup.
I've given the user winadmin an uid and gid and ive added winadmin to the unix lpadmin group.
And you should be done, setup kerberos auth, and configure through the cups webinterface.

Now, add yourself as (your winuser gaio) to lpadmin, do note you must have a uid/gid to make this work.
( dont forget to logout and login again )
Check it on linux with : id username
That show the user and groups with GIDS also. Like this.
uid=10002(someuser) gid=10000(domain users) groups=10000(domain users),4(adm),27(sudo),116(lpadmin),1951(sshgroup),10005(remote-webmail),10004(servers-ssh),10008(servers-www),2001(BUILTIN\users)

Running :
kinit Administrator
net rpc rights list privileges SePrintOperatorPrivilege -S $(hostname -f) -k

Shows me :
SePrintOperatorPrivilege:
  BUILTIN\Print Operators
  NTDOM\Domain Admins
  BUILTIN\Administrators

Still possible that i missed a setting, try above out, you know where to reach us. ;-)

Thats about it. I use cups with point and print setup.

So the short version of above is...
Give a AD user a UID/GID
Map BUILTIN\Print Operators with SePrivileges
Add the user to lpadmin on the linux server.

This was a debian jessie with samba 4.4, and it was al the way upgraded to debian stretch with samba 4.8.2 now.

Greetz,

Louis