[Samba] Are some Group Policies broken?

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Jun 13 07:34:39 UTC 2018

Hai Mark,

I've replied in between the lines belown.

Yes, thats probely a mismatch in ACL's and the share ACL.

Check you share rights from withing windows, if needed reapply them.
If thats dont, the start GPO editor, and fix the GPO acls by klikking on them.
Windows wil complain about incorrect rights, then klik ok, should be fixed.

Ok, yes, i do delete the redirectedFolders/Users/  >  username <  folder.
And yes, if you do have content, backup it.
After a correct acl is set, use getfacl to see how its set, then its pretty easy to re-apply that for every user folder.

I must also say, all my user folders an on a member server, not addc, so keep in mind there is a small beheavior change between these.

> When you say, "reappy it again from RSAT", from where are you
> doing this? Group Policy Management? What do you mean by "reapply"? Do you remove and recreate the Policy?

No, after i removed the user folder from the server, i goto ADUC, goto a user.
I set the UID/GID ( klik apply), ( i use win7 with ADUC, so i still have the unix tab )  now, i goto
the profile tab.
Path to user profile, i use : \\host.my.dom.tld\profiles\%username%
Basic folder mapping connection (Letter:"), i use : \\host.my.dom.tld\users\%username%

I just remove 1 character from the username ( no need to apply or ok) , and put it direct back,
Windows sees this as a change, klik apply and the folder is recreated. And now login as the user again.

For me, i do believe i created this problem myself, because i use
    idmap config BAZRTD : unix_nss_info = yes
    idmap config BAZRTD : unix_primary_group = yes

And i use :  acl_xattr:ignore system acl = yes on my users and profiles folders.
But this helped me match the windows ACL's better. ( think in samba 4.4- 4.6 when i really needed this. )
But it works, and the workaround is pretty simple, ... I should not forget to set the UID/GID first.
And due to that i cant use "copy" a user to a new user, that make it fail for me.