[Samba] Samba Time Synchronisation wikipage

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jun 13 06:48:32 UTC 2018

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 08:36:36 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hai,
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/windows-time-service/how-the-windows-time-service-works
>
> Look in the above link, search for "Time Synchronization in an AD DS
> Hierarchy". There you find the PDC Emulator role.  In the
> piramide. ;-) This one explains even better then the technet link.
>
> It also explains Alexei's question i believe.

Yes it shows that the PDC emulator DC is the one that gets the time
from an external time server. The other DC's get their time from the
PDC emulator DC, but it quite clearly says a workstation (and I quote)
'Can synchronize with any domain controller in its own domain'

So, by my reading, workstations do not have to use the PDC emulator DC,
they can use any DC.
DC's MUST use the PDC emulator DC as their time server, but can be set
up to take over the PDC emulator role.

If we can agree, I will alter the wiki page again.

Rowland