[Samba] samba problem with version upgrade - restated

David H. Durgee dhdurgee at verizon.net
Mon Jun 11 16:47:39 UTC 2018

I am taking the unusual measure of posting before anyone responds to my
post as something occurred to me and the results of testing it yields
useful information relevant to my problem.

It finally occurred to me that the behavior I am seeing with sylvia,
specifically the fact that a file added via the share from the other
system gets ownership of "nobody/nogroup", that perhaps 4.3.11 was
treating this access as anonymous/guest instead of as intended.  Looking
at my share I see in both files I have "guest ok = yes" in the share
definition, so this was a possibility.

I edited the share on both systems to change this to "guest ok = no" and
tried again with both systems.  This resulted completely different
behavior on sylvia system, but no change with maya.

With the sylvia booted gigolo cannot get the share mounted, it continues
to prompt for the password, apparently failing to validate it.  There
are no error messages given on the other system, just another prompt for
the password.

Looking at /var/log/auth.log I see:

Jun 11 11:38:48 DG41TY smbd: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for
user nobody
Jun 11 11:39:50 DG41TY smbd: message repeated 5 times: [
pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody]

This was after shutting sylvia down and booting maya.

So this does appear to be some sort of authentication issue with 4.3.11
here.  Would additional logging help isolate the problem?  If so, what
particular settings should I add?

Dave