[Samba] Samba, AD, 'short' name resolving...

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Jun 11 15:31:24 UTC 2018

Hai Marco,

What i see below is correct.
You useing a dhcp outside the network and thats ok.

The windows pc that joined the domain automaticly register A and PTR.
So that correct also.

> c) seems to use some ''random'' AD DNS, not the one in the site, for
>  example.
Yes that is correct. ( The DC Locator Process does that )
If you dont want that, you can assign by GPO a preffered server.

You can set it as preffered server per site in the GPO. ( note, a pc needs 2 reboots )
Set the variable logon server in a GPO.
Thats one of the options.

And try this setting.
include "/etc/bind/rndc.key";
    controls {
    inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndc-key; };
};

See how far you get.

Hint:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/security/windows-authentication/group-policy-settings-used-in-windows-authentication